I’ve been enjoying learning to bake with nut and coconut flours. The consistency is different but it’s nice to know that there are ways to make baked goods that are typically not gluten free. These muffins are so good you could call them cupcakes and serve them for dessert!
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 1/2 c. melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 c. applesauce (we used the applesauce we preserved from the apples we gleaned last fall)
- 1/4 c. honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium zucchini, grated and squeezed dry
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 c. almond flour
- 1/2 c. coconut flour or finely grated dried unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 c. cocoa or carob powder
Mix the butter, applesauce, honey, eggs, zucchini, baking soda, and vanilla well. Mix the nut flours and cocoa/carob powder in a separate bowl; then mix into the zucchini mixture. Pour into a muffin tin or muffin liners, and bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. Yields 12 muffins.
When kids get yummy stuff like this for breakfast, you don’t hear complaints from them about having to eat healthy food.